Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church began as a mission congregation following a survey done by Dr. William Tedrow, under the direction of the Board of Home Missions. Results of the survey indicated a need for an English speaking Lutheran church in Kalamazoo, so on December 4, 1904 the first service was held at “the Auditorium” on Portage Street, and a General Synod Lutheran church was organized.
The Women’s Missionary Society of the General Synod made Trinity their special mission and by 1905 the Cedar Street “Chapel” cornerstone was laid and the building was dedicated May 13, 1906. By 1912 there were 83 members. When the time came that the congregation had outgrown this facility, it was unanimously decided to sell the property and relocate to outside the downtown business district.
The present site was purchased on April 11, 1926 and construction began on September 12, 1927 with the cornerstone being laid on Reformation Sunday. The building was dedicated June 10, 1928 and 262 members moved to the new building. Its purpose was to “enlarge the sphere of Trinity’s usefulness. We dedicate this beautiful structure to the glory and honor of almighty God and to the service of His holy church.”
250 new members were added over the coming years, and as the congregation grew, Trinity began having two services on Sundays in 1950. The basement Sunday School classes had become very crowded and need for more space led to another building project. The cornerstone for the 34-room Parish Education Building was laid in 1956 and the project was dedicated on October 13, 1957. By 1961 Trinity had 655 members, and by 1964, Trinity membership had reached 1,019!
Through the years, there have been several projects that have changed and improved the appearance and usefulness of the building inside and out. Trinity Lutheran Church was dedicated from it’s beginning to the “Glory and honor of almighty God and to the service of His holy church.” He continues to place before us an “unparalleled opportunity for constructive service in His Kingdom” through our updated facilities and thriving Congregation.